Ask your second grader:
• What was the main idea or our anchor text this week? Can you support your main idea with 3 details?
• If you come to an unfamiliar word while reading, how might you figure out the meaning of the word using context clues?
• What was the author’s purpose of in the book The Story of the Statue of Liberty?
• How do you decompose 314 + 235? How do you solve the same problem in a vertical algorithm?
• Report cards go home on Monday!
• Harvest parties are October 31st. No costumes, please!
• Conferences are November 1st. A form for sign-ups will be sent soon.
• Our first field trip is Friday, October 27th. We will see Mr. Popper’s Penguins at the Nashville Children’s Theatre. Look for the field trip permission slip in the Friday folder. Please pay the field trip fee online as soon as possible (information for payment is on the permission slip). We will be eating lunch at school before leaving.
• ELA: main idea and details, non-fiction text features, root words and prefixes. Digraphs th, sh, wh, ch
• Math: place value, number sense, addition and subtraction (without regrouping)
• Science: space
• Social Studies: American Symbols
Have a wonderful weekend!
The 2nd Grade Team